Spend a day like a Viking by riding an Icelandic horse before taking a dip in a natural hot spring in the wild nature. What sets this fantastic full-day riding tour apart from others is that aside from riding the famous Icelandic horse, you’ll get to unwind in warm, geothermal waters.
This tour starts early in the morning when the guide picks you up from Reykjavík. Then, the guide will take you out of the city and to a horse farm in southwest Iceland. They will pair you with a horse there, and you can spend a few minutes getting to know it before heading out into the countryside.
Following your guide, you’ll ride along the slopes of Mt. Reykjafell or “smokey mountain”, as it is known in Icelandic. Next, the path will take you through a green forest surrounding the inactive Hengill Volcano. Here, you can try the famous tölt gain, unique to Icelandic horses.
You will then head into the geothermal valley of Reykjadalur, or “smokey valley”. The path to the valley is scenic, and your horse will traverse it at a leisurely pace so you can take in the scenery. En route, you will pass a beautiful waterfall and a few hot springs that bubble with boiling water.
Once in Reykjadalur, you’ll dismount for your lunch break, an optional hike, and a dip in the natural hot springs. So remember to bring your bathing suit! After the soak, it is time to head back to the farm, where coffee/tea and a homemade cake are waiting for you. The scenery on the way offers you panoramic views of Hveragerði Town, picturesque farmlands, and the southern coastline.
Experience the best of Iceland on this fantastic horse riding and hot spring bathing adventure. Book now to secure your spot on this popular tour.
- 5-6 hours of horse riding with stops for hiking and bathing
- English-speaking guide
- Pick up and drop off in Reykjavík
- Use of helmet and other gear
- Use of warm overalls
- Lunchbox (sandwich, cookies, bottle of water)
- Coffee/tea/hot chocolate & homemade cake
- Use of swimsuit & towel
Good to know
- Weight limit for this tour is 120 kg (265 lbs)
- Special sandwiches such as vegetarian are available upon request
- The itinerary of this tour may change according to weather. If the weather is bad, you may not be able to go to the mountains.
- There is no changing room in the valley.
- Participants need to be in good physical condition and be able to mount the horse without assistance.
- The horses will go use their tölt gait most of the tour, which is about the same speed as trot.
What to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Good shoes
- Comfortable trousers for riding (don’t have to be riding trousers)
- A buff or thin hat for under the helmet and gloves
- Small waste bag for phone or camera, not that backpacks are not allowed
- Swimsuit & towel
From: 27.200 kr. /pp.