Have a unique adventure on top of Langjökull Glacier in the western Highlands of Iceland. Ride in the world’s largest glacier truck to an authentic blue ice cave and explore the wonders that lie within it. Departures are from Gullfoss Waterfall, making this excursion perfect if you want to spice up your Golden Circle visit.
In Norse mythology, Sleipnir is an 8-legged horse ridden by the god Odin. The mighty stallion inspired the name of the glacier truck you will be riding in today to the ice cave. The Sleipnir truck is the world’s largest vehicle of its kind, with an 800-horsepower engine and 8 wheels.
From Gullfoss Waterfall, you will meet your guide. They will take you on a bus to the foot of Langjökull Glacier in the remote Highland region of Iceland. The trip is not long, but it is filled with unusual scenery of barren, alien-like landscapes.
At the foot of the glacier, you’ll see the big truck Sleipnir. Climb aboard and get ready for a journey on top of the glacier. There is free WiFi aboard, and the guide will tell you about the area and perhaps play Icelandic music for you.
After a while, gazing out the truck’s window at the bright white snow and ice on top of the glacier, you’ll stop in front of the ice cave. Before exiting the vehicle, the guide will give you crampons so you can stand confidently on the ice cap.
The cave is breathtaking, with its bright blue ice that contains trapped air bubbles and black ash from a past volcanic eruption. You’ll spend some time exploring this natural wonder, taking as many photographs as you’d like. Here you can also take in the scenery on top of the glacier, appreciating the feeling of remoteness as you stand miles away from any human population.
Once you’ve explored the glacier and ice cave to the fullest, the Sleipnir truck will take you to the bus, which will then take you back to Gullfoss Waterfall. Then, after bidding farewell to the guides, you are free to continue your adventure on the Golden Circle.
Experience something new with this fantastic glacier truck and ice cave tour. Book now to secure your spot on this frosty adventure.
- Use of crampons
- WiFi onboard
- Pick up and drop off at Gullfoss Waterfall
- Pick up and drop off from Reykjavik
Good to know
- Please note that this tour is not wheelchair or stroller accessible
- There are no child seats available in the shuttle. Small children must sit on your lap.
- Ice caves are a natural phenomenon; conditions can change depending on weather and climate. Your safety is the priority; therefore, the provider may cancel the tour with short notice if conditions are not deemed safe. In case the conditions for ice cavings are not safe, you will be offered to go sledding, play glacier golf or have snacks and warm drinks
What to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Good hiking shoes that cover your ankles
- Warm hat, scarf and gloves
- Sunglasses in the summer
From 24,557 kr. /pp.