Unwind in warm geothermal waters surrounded by untouched nature. A relaxing getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life is exactly what Hvammsvík Spa offers! Take advantage of the natural hot spring water and enjoy the view of the sea and the mountains of West Iceland’s Hvalfjörður Fjord.
Hvammsvík Natural Hot Springs is a newly opened spa about 45 minutes’ drive from Iceland’s capital, Reykjavík. The luxurious resort is located on the shoreline of Hvalfjörður Fjord and offers eight natural hot spring pools of varying temperatures.
Some of the pools merge with the ocean water during high tide, allowing visitors brave enough to withstand the cold to swim in the sea. All of the pools offer fantastic views of Hvalfjörður Fjord, with its majestic mountains and bright blue sea. Keep an eye out for seals which can sometimes be seen exploring the area around the spa!
The facilities at Hvammsvík include:
- 8 hot spring pools of varying temperatures
- Indoor and outdoor changing rooms.
- A steam bath.
- Access to a black sand beach.
- Free use of paddle boards.
There is also a swim-up bar with a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
If you forgot to pack a swimsuit and towel, don’t worry. You can rent those at the front desk. You can also rent wading shoes that protect against sharp rocks if you want to swim in the sea.
After your soak in the geothermal waters of Hvammsvík, you can purchase hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, soup, and other snacks at the onsite bistro.
Hvalfjörður Fjord is one of the most underrated gems of Iceland. Aside from stunning views, it is known for playing an important role in World War II, housing an allied troop’s naval base and a few anchorages and stopping stations for convoys. You’ll get a glimpse of history when visiting Hvammvík, as the facilities are built using remains from a barrack foundation.
Soak in the soothing geothermal waters of Hvammsvík Spa or swim in the cool waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Either way, you’re sure to feel refreshed after spending some time at this beautiful location. So book your entry to this fantastic spa today!
- Entry to Hvammsvík Natural Hot Springs
- Meals and refreshments (can be purchased onsite)
Good to know
- The Hvammsvík Hot Springs are open year round unless the roads are closed due to severe weather forecasts.
- A few of the pools are situated on a natural shore. In high-tide, they merge with the ocean and therefore deepen. Guests who do not know how to swim should avoid those pools during high-tide.
- Note that the pools’ edges can sometimes be sharp. There can also be slippery patches on the paths, beach, and rocks around the pools. You can rent wading shoes if you wish to protect your feet.
- If you wish, you can enter the ocean but know that it is very cold and that you will be entering at your own risk. Make sure to take care at all times.
- The use of paddle boards is subject to availability and weather conditions.
What to bring
- Swimsuit & towel (can be rented)
From 6,900 kr. /pp.