Spice up your South Iceland road trip with a glacier hiking excursion on top of Sólheimajökull ice cap. This is the perfect tour for friends and families looking for an exhilarating way to immerse themselves in the beauty of Icelandic nature.
A short drive from the waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss is Mýrdalsjökull, Iceland’s fourth largest glacier. One of the glacier tongues of Mýrdalsjökull is called Sólheimajökull, and it will serve as the setting for your glacier hike today.
By the roots of Sólheimajökull, you will find your glacier guide who will begin by telling you a little bit about glaciers; about how they are formed to the dangers they face. Before you set foot on the ice, you will be given all the glacier gear needed which include crampons and a helmet. No technical skills are required for this tour, and your trained guide will be with you throughout your journey.
You will follow your guide up the glacier, passing ash-streaked blocks of ice, a result from past volcanic eruptions. Along the way, you will stop to look into deep glacier moulins and electric blue crevasses. As you stand on top of the glacier, take a minute to appreciate the beauty of your surroundings, as well as the complete silence and serenity found here.
Once your tour is over, you are free to explore the rest of Iceland’s south coast, where you can make stops at popular attractions such as the nearby Reynisfjara black sand beach.
Grab this unique opportunity to scale a glacier on your holiday in Iceland. Book now to secure your spot on this fantastic tour.
- English-speaking, experienced and qualified guide
- Use of all glacier gear and safety equipment
- Pick-up from Reykjavík
Good to know
- The meeting point is the Sólheimajökull Parking Lot. Please be there 20 minutes before the tour starting time.
- The tour takes around 3 hours in total, including instructions and a hike to the glacier
- The difficulty level is set to ‘moderate’ which means that all those in good health should be able to participate. Those who exercise regularly, are able to walk for 2-6 hours every day, and are used to all-terrain walks should be just fine
What to bring
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Good hiking shoes.
From 14,900 kr. /pp.